Old November 19th 04, 05:00 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.surrey,uk.transport.london
Troy Steadman Troy Steadman is offline

Default Trivia: Victorian double-decker trains?

(Charles Ellson) wrote in message ...
In article
"Troy Steadman" writes:

The first L&SW trains to Kingston-on-Railway (nowadays Surbiton) were
notable for having people riding on top and people riding below.

Were they double-deckers?

Don't some old pictures show passengers on top of the stage-coaches-on-rails
as used on early railways, not so much "on top" as at the ends.

Yup, the old stagecoaches had a driver on top at the front and a
postillion (at least I've remembered that name even if I've no idea
how to spell it) at the back.

The early pictures of the L&SW show people perched on a seat outside
on the top front of each carriage in the direct line of the smoke.