Old November 24th 04, 08:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport
Dave Liney Dave Liney is offline

Default Eurostar to quit Waterloo

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , Dave Liney
writes

There is a world outside of London where people live and commute. You seem
to be suggesting that business people only live south west of London
whereas
looking at arrivals in the northern termini on a weekday morning would
suggest otherwise.

Why do you keep making incorrect assumptions? I said nothing about
business people living *only* in South West London. This is the second
time you have tried to make an argument out of a false assumption.

"are those cohorts of people in other parts of the capital likely to require
business trips or desire leisure breaks in Eurostar destinations?"

I don't think it is an assumption to read what you wrote as meaning that you
don't believe that there are a significant number or people who use Eurostar
for business (who I assume are the ones on business trips) outside of south
west London.

I have merely observed that when travelling by Eurostar I see very many
people continuing their journey by SWT. Obviously, not everyone does.

So Waterloo is a good and cheap solution for those north of London

No. Now you are making your third false assumption.

"They have one [a good, cheap public transport solution to getting to Paris]
already - it is called Waterloo".

You said it. Hardly an assumption.

"They don't use it because they find having to travel across London too
inconvenient"

Let's say you are right in this (and I'm not sure you are). South west
London has Heathrow conviniently situated for journeys to Paris whereas
north London doesn't. So let's spread the benefit of quick and easy journeys
to Paris by having south west London go to Heathrow, south east London to
Ashford and north London to StP.

What actually do you feel is wrong in suggesting that there should be
Eurostar terminals both north AND south of the city for the maximum
convenience of passengers?

There is nothing wrong with that suggestion. But when there isn't a business
case for two terminals then one will have to close. Closing StP isn't an
option (it would make the CTRL phase 2 rather pointless) so Waterloo has to.

I could suggest that it would be convinient for the ECML to have a terminal
at Waterloo as well but it's unlikely to stand up as a business case.

Dave