Old November 24th 04, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default Eurostar to quit Waterloo

In message , Dave Liney
writes

"are those cohorts of people in other parts of the capital likely to require
business trips or desire leisure breaks in Eurostar destinations?"

Yes, that is the question I asked. You didn't answer it, though.

I don't think it is an assumption to read what you wrote as meaning

Sheesh! There you go again! PLEASE stop assuming what I think.

"They have one [a good, cheap public transport solution to getting to Paris]
already - it is called Waterloo".

You said it. Hardly an assumption.

Oh gawd, and you can't spot irony either. I am pointing out the fallacy
in your argument that the St Pancras - Waterloo change is so quick and
easy.

Let's say you are right in this (and I'm not sure you are). South west
London has Heathrow conviniently situated for journeys to Paris whereas
north London doesn't. So let's spread the benefit of quick and easy journeys
to Paris by having south west London go to Heathrow, south east London to
Ashford and north London to StP.

Why encourage the pollution that air travel causes when there is ALREADY
and international rail terminal at Waterloo.

when there isn't a business
case for two terminals then one will have to close. Closing StP isn't an
option (it would make the CTRL phase 2 rather pointless) so Waterloo has to.

Only if you believe that Eurostar have done their sums properly ... or,
if cynical, that Eurostar will use the threat of closure of Waterloo to
get money out of the government. Personally, I find it very difficult to
believe there is a good business case.

Incidentally, you are only considering travel FROM London. I wonder how
many of the foreign tourists who come TO London for a short break, and
who can currently walk to many attractions from Waterloo, will bother to
come here when they find they are deposited amid the delights of King's
Cross?

I could suggest that it would be convinient for the ECML to have a terminal
at Waterloo as well but it's unlikely to stand up as a business case.

If there was already an ECML terminal at Waterloo handling millions of
passengers a year, you would close it?

--
Paul Terry