Old November 24th 04, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Late-night Tube plan announced

On 24 Nov 2004, Kevin wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote in message ...
On 23 Nov 2004, Kevin wrote:

typical of this country to treat the symptom and not the cause.

Which is what? I'm not sure what you're getting at.

The problem is with the fact that you can't get a taxi after 9pm let
alone midnight unless it is an illegal minicab and if you are a woman
you stand a good chence of getting attacked by the minicab driver. With
taxi drivers (legal) making more than enough money working 9 to 5 they
wont work during the night. And Ken Livinstone has done what to help
this situation.

I think we have another problem here, which is that YOU ARE INSANE.

The real problem is most definitely *not* that i can't get a taxi home. I
don't want to get a taxi home! I want cheap, simple public transport home!
I don't want to stick a tenner in some fat, racist, cyclist-murdering
arsehole's pocket just so i can sleep in my own bed!

The real cause is that our tube system requires far too much maintenance;
the solution is to replace or renew the entire thing, with good-quality,
well-designed tracks, trains and signals, and with enough redundancy that
parts can be taken out of service without shutting the whole thing down
(either New-York-style quadruple tubes, triple tubes, or some way of
closing one of the pair of tubes and wrong-railing the trains past it).
Sadly, this would cost about 2 to 2.5 hojillion pounds, so we can't do it.
Therefore, we resort to palliative care, viz later tube opening.

tom

ps No offence, Mr Hughes!

--
Understand the world we're living in