Old November 25th 04, 11:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Late-night Tube plan announced

Dave Liney wrote:
"David FitzGerald" wrote in message
om...

(Kevin) wrote in message
e.com...

My solution is that people go home earlier.

Fantasic. Why not take it further... people shouldn't go out at all,
and then we wouldn't need buses or a tube and all the roads would be
empty. Problem solved!

But in all seriousness, if there is a demand for public transport late
at night (even if going out late at night isn't *your* cup of tea)
then it seems only sensible that the demand should be satisfied where
possible.

There is a demand for public transport late at night and there are Night
Buses to meet this demand. In the small hours the roads are almost empty
(well maybe not Charing Cross Road) and the buses fly along. I remember
getting from Putney to King's Cross at 3am in a ridiculously quick time;
faster than the tube would have managed it.

Crossing from north to south (and equivalents) used to mean a change of bus
but since almost all of them went to Trafalgar Square that wasn't such a
problem. Out of interest now that is no longer the case are such journeys
harder or easier to make? Since moving out of London I've stopped having to
do it.

There are more night or 24-hour routes since the congestion charge
improvements came in, so I'd say easier. It does depend how far you're
going. You have routes like the N74 (Roehampton - Putney), N28
(Wandsworth - Camden Town) and N31 (Clapham Junction - Kilburn) which
cross the centre without terminating.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7