Old November 25th 04, 04:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dr John Stockton Dr John Stockton is offline

Default Aldgate Delays

JRS: In article ,
dated Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:44:53, seen in news:uk.transport.london, M
Patrick posted :

When the circle line gets to Aldgate there is often a delay of a couple of
minutes, sometimes lasting up to 10. Is this where the drivers change over?

That waiting was nicely explained in an excellent little book "How The
Underground Works" by P E Garbutt - my p/b copy, printed in 1966, cost
5/- new (IIRC, there were later editions) - on p.68.

Interworking with other services fixed the Circle line interval at 7.5
minutes, and minimum running time was 47 minutes per lap. In order to
fit a whole number of trains in, a lap was scheduled at 7 * 7.5 = 52.5
minutes, and so 5.5 minutes had to be lost somewhere. Aldgate was one
of the few places at which time could be lost without holding up other
services.

I used to catch an afternoon train into Waterloo, and then an outbound
one, not very long after, from Liverpool Street. So, during the week,
connection was good by Drain to Bank; but on Sunday, it seemed best to
use Charing Cross and Circle. The wait at Aldgate was always a source
of concern.

Probably the details have changed since I used it.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.