Old November 27th 04, 07:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mark Townend Mark Townend is offline

Default Buses from Waterloo to King's Cross (was Eurostar to quit Waterloo)

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
.uk...
In message , at
20:05:32 on Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Tom Anderson
remarked:
I *would* go via Stratford rather than King's Cross, though!

That might suit you, but I doubt it would suit the majority.

Why not?

Because it's so much easier for most of them to drive 45mins to
Ebbsfleet and park there, than find a way of getting to their local
station, not being able to park, and getting a slow train all the way to
Stratford, just to get a fast one back to Ebbsfleet again.

Not all of Essex is 45min drive from Ebbsfleet at all times.
Not all trains in Essex are 'slow'

I do take the point you're going nearly 'all the way' into London to pick
the train up at Stratford if you're setting off from somewhere along the
north Thames bank. Perhaps some enterprising organisation might start
express coach services from this area to Ebbsfleet via the M25.

On the way back, which will often be late in the evening, how much
better to have a nice warm comfortable drive home, than standing around
at Stratford waiting for another slow train to (eg) Southend, then
having to get a taxi the last part of the way.

Presuming one won't be partaking of alcoholic refreshment on the eurostar!

I'm sure there will be some Essex residents who will drive to Ebbsfleet and
others who will interchange at Stratford according to where they live, their
preference and whether they have exclusive access to a car for the full
period of their trip away (unless being dropped off/picked up). I can't see
parking at Ebbsfleet being free either (what's the fee at Ashford?).

The opinion that everyone will drive anyway would mean that efforts to
improve public transport links at airports would be pointless too!

--
Mark