Old November 27th 04, 10:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mrs Redboots Mrs Redboots is offline

Default Goods trains

Jack Taylor wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 26 Nov 2004:

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
I was waiting for a connection at Denmark Hill station the other day,
having travelled from Clapham High Street, and heading onwards to
Lewisham. I was amazed how many goods trains I saw on that journey - at
least two in each direction, if not three. And a huge train packed full
of Citroen C3s, which I assume had crossed via the Channel Tunnel

Presumably most of the trains going towards central London would have
come from the Tunnel, but where do they go after Clapham High Street?

Most of them will cross at Wandsworth Road to the West London line through
Kensington Olympia. From that line they can either run onto the West Coast
Main Line and Wembley yard, take the high level route and continue along the
North London line or touch the WCML at Willesden and then turn away to join
the Gret Western Main Line at Acton.

Thank you. Where do they de-train the freight, as a general rule - the
old goods yards are obviously a thing of the past, but equally obviously
there must be a few terminals scattered around the country. You mention
Wembley - are there any others in the London area?
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/