Old November 30th 04, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] rm664@NOSPAMbtinternet.com is offline

Default Oyster Query

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:00:25 -0000, "Tim" wrote:

I have an Oyster card with a Zone1-3 annual travelcard and something like
£15 of prepay on it

If I want to travel from Earlsfield (zone3) to Kew (also zone 3), going via
Richmond (zone 4), I only ever touch in and out in zone 3 so I am not
paying for my brief time in zone 4. However I have done what is expected of
me - touched in and out and carried enough prepay to cover my extension
ticket.

A colleague tells me that this is correct and that I am travelling perfectly
legally - can anyone here confirm this?

Thanks
Tim

Pre-pay can't be used on National Rail except where there is a joint
line (e.g. Richmond - Gunnersbury). So to travel legally you need to
buy a 'paper' extension ticket from Boundary Zone 3 to Richmond, then
use you pre-pay to touch-in at Richmond and out again at Kew Gardens.

This might change in the future if the Mayor's plans to fully
integrate fares is realised, but until then you must buy an extension
ticket to travel beyond the zones on National Rail.