Old November 30th 04, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Mrs Redboots Mrs Redboots is offline

Default What would a Gatwick to Liverpool Street service require?

Paul Scott wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 30 Nov 2004:

"Kevin" wrote in message
. com...

These "wouldn't it be great if we had a train from here to there"
arguements never cease to amaze me. Presumabley somebody waves a magic
wand and hey presto ther is all the extra capacity for this.

Kevin

Agree - where the translation of here is 'where I live' and there is 'where
I often go'. The facts are that nearly the whole railway was built where
the passengers of the mid 1800s wanted to go.

Paul

All the same, it is maddening when a definite physical railway-line
exists between the two places that you want to go, but "it is not a
route" so that you have to change trains. I'm thinking, particularly,
of the journey between Brixton and Streatham which would be physically
possible to do on one train, but as "it is not a route" you have to
change at Herne Hill, which makes the journey uneconomic in terms of
time, and better done by bus.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/