Old November 30th 04, 09:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Colin McKenzie Colin McKenzie is offline

Default Highway Code for Coach Drivers

Martin Underwood wrote:

The majority of times that I see a vehicle go through red traffic lights (*)
it's a bicycle.

Today I saw no bikes going through red lights.
I did however see two lorries go through bang in the middle of the red
phase, having been prevented from going through on green by a traffic
jam. And no, they hadn't already crossed the line.

All times that I see a vehicle disobeying the speed limit, it has an
engine. Most road users, whatever their vehicle, do what they can get
away with. This is why so many drivers are so against speed cameras -
they can now not always get away with speeding. The solution is
enforcement, prioritising the offences that cause most danger to other
road users. At the moment that means offences committed by users of
motor vehicles.

Blocking off cyclists undertaking you when signalling left is a good
thing to do if you drive a long vehicle. But a stationary car can be
passed quickly, in less time than a red/amber phase, and the biggest
danger to the undertaking cyclist is opening car doors.

Colin McKenzie

--
The great advantage of not trusting statistics is that
it leaves you free to believe the damned lies instead!