Old August 5th 03, 10:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default Bus Conductors and Drivers (again).

"Dave" wrote in message

Use of conductors on
'conventional' buses was tried and failed.

Why? My experience was that the conductors (mostly women) stood at the front
and flirted with the driver (mostly men) throughout the whole journey, and
wouldn't let anyone pass them without buying a ticket. So the failure was
not in the policy, but in management failure to train/discipline/choose the
right staff. This problem obviously cannot occur on routemasters, because
the driver is sealed away from the conductor: maybe sealing the driver away
from the conductor would enable conductors to work on any bus.

What happened about Routemistress, or whatever the replacement was to be
called? Or is the bendibus the result of that project?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped