Old December 1st 04, 10:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Alan J. Flavell Alan J. Flavell is offline

Default What would a Gatwick to Liverpool Street service require?

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Peter Masson wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message

For parts of Kent I would have thought Stanstead was possibly closer than
Southampton, the latter is 120 miles from Maidstone for instance.

From time to time we get lost souls looking for the airport at Stansted,
Kent (a village between Meopham and Wrotham).

Maybe they're confusing it with Stanstead?

The nearest one to the action would seem to be in Suffolk, between
Long Melford and Bury St. Edmunds, a mere 5.5 miles from (obRail)
Sudbury railway station.

They usually have 10 minutes left to check in, and express disbelief
when they're told they're in the wrong county and need to get
themselves through the Dartford Tunnel.

Well, I have to admit that I once lost my way to Harwich, and turned
up 30 minutes late for checkin: but as the ferry (to Hamburg - anyone
remember the Hamlet, popularly nicknamed the Omlette?) was several
hours late, they didn't seem to mind.

"But I digress".