Old December 2nd 04, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Terry Harper Terry Harper is offline

Default What would a Gatwick to Liverpool Street service require?

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
Terry Harper wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 1 Dec 2004:

Yes, I should have qualified it as Southampton for most of Sussex and
Manston (or Lydd) for the rest.

Honestly, for much of Sussex, except those parts east of Chichester,
Gatwick is a lot nearer - it's only about 35 miles from where my parents
live, between Worthing & Arundel, but So'ton is at least 50 miles and
the traffic can be atrocious around Arundel & Chichester, although a
good road between the two.

Very true, but Gatwick involves a lot of time-absorbing actions, unless you
have a taxi to the airport. We are about 20 miles from Gatwick and about 70
from Southampton, so given a flight from Gatwick, the choice is obvious.
However, we've been to Guernsey from Southampton, and the journey is very
easy with very little fuss at the airport. Arundel and Chichester can be
avoided from our place, using the A272 and the A3, although at some times of
day the A27 is free-flowing.

The annoying thing is the lack of Coastway trains without a change in
Brighton.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm