Old December 5th 04, 01:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway
[email protected] captaincorellisaccordion@hotmail.com is offline

Default What would a Gatwick to Liverpool Street service require?

Mrs Redboots wrote:
All the same, it is maddening when a definite physical railway-line
exists between the two places that you want to go, but "it is not a
route" so that you have to change trains.

absolutely.... and London is particularly infuriating for that.

I think NR and TfL need to get a handle on cross-London connections.
More intelligent use of existing tracks could ease so many
terminal-to-terminal interchanges. At present the Circle Line is the
usual answer and, frankly, that's never a good thing.

For example, Paddington-WCML could be made easier by Silverlink
stopping more semi-fast trains at Queens Park or Willesden Junction
(would aid NLL too).

Chiltern's West Hampstead plans
(http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/pa...roduction.html)
are an excellent example of the sort of planning required. The
Willesden/Old Oak area would be a superb location for another such
interchange - under 1km between the two lines - though I can't see it
ever happening.

CC