Old December 5th 04, 05:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Nick Cooper Nick Cooper is offline

Default Reasons for delays

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 18:13:58 +0000, Greg Hennessy
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 17:07:43 GMT,
(Nick Cooper) wrote:

As I pointed out, characterwise my signature is not even five complete
lines of text, and is therefore under the six-line "recommended"
limit. The URLs are on separate lines for the obvious reasons.

In direct contravention to RFC 1855

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html

Almost ten years old now - formulated at a time when things were a lot
different in a lot of respects.

- If you include a signature keep it short. Rule of thumb
is no longer than 4 lines. Remember that many people pay for
connectivity by the minute, and the longer your message is,
the more they pay.

"Rule of thumb." Also note use of, "Guidelines," and, "This memo does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind."

Attempting to excuse your lack of netiquette by claiming that its not
really 10 lines long doesn't wash I'm afraid.

Tough. Maybe you'd like me to replace it with a solid block of text
that would be exactly the same number of characters, but a lot less
clear?

Your .sig delimiter is also non compliant.

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?StandardSigDelimiter

Internet signatures in mail and news should begin with the character
sequence
DASH DASH SPACE EOL

Point accepted and corrected, although it seemed to "work" as it was,
anyway.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk