Old December 6th 04, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael Hoffman Michael Hoffman is offline

Default Reasons for delays

Greg Hennessy wrote:
[Michael Hoffman]
Greg Hennessy wrote:
The age is irrelevant. Do you suggest that the RFCs for tcp and smtp are
somehow different/out of date due to their age ?
No, they are still active Internet Standards. The document you quote was
never an Internet Standard.

[SNIP]
I don't see what referring to this again accomplishes. It's still an
Internet Standard (STD 7).

Rubbish,

TCP was defined by a plain old RFC long before it became an IETF standard.

You have still not pointed out anything "rubbish" or "nonsense" about
anything that I've said. Additionally, I think it is ironic that you are
being so brusque while claiming to uphold a higher standard of
netiquette. If you really think it is more important to keep a sig of
four lines than to be polite, I think you should rethink the purpose of
your adherence to netiquette.

You are arguing that a particular RFC (RFC 1855) is normative, while
ignoring another one (RFC 1796) which states that it is only
informative. You can't argue that all RFCs are normative without an
inherent logical inconsistency.

And before the formal IETF standards process existed, there were plenty
of RFCs which were obsolete or inapplicable, so the mere existence of an
RFC did not make it normative. You are then either left with trying to
pick and choose which ones apply (in which case you decide that RFC 1855
applies but our friend Mr. Coghlan apparently disagrees with you) or
rely on the IETF standards process to decide.
--
Michael Hoffman
(whose sig is never longer than four lines but will defend to the death