Old December 7th 04, 06:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
d d is offline

Default Oh dear.....I'm sure it wont happen.

"Malcolm & Nika" wrote in message
LUL signal and control staff to ballot after talks fail - 6 Dec 2004

DECEMBER 6: LONDON UNDERGROUND's biggest union is to ballot more than 330
signallers and line controllers for strike action after six months of
negotiations failed to resolve a four-year dispute over pay rates, pay
structures, hours and conditions.

Press release from the RMT today:

A year after RMT won a £2,000 interim payment for signalling and
service-control grades, and six months after a working party began
detailed talks, LUL has demanded 14 per cent reduction in jobs,
lengthening of shifts, reduction in minimum rest-periods and other
"unacceptable" strings.

snip

"When it came to pay we were happy to negotiate a unified and simplified
pay scale, but by 'red-circling' individuals outside the new structure the
company is attempting to use it as a downgrading exercise," Pat Sikorski
said.

ends

For public transport, they sure do hate the public. This really, really
annoys me. I'm so fed up of being a pawn in this stupid game between the
RMT and LUL. Why do they close the service? Don't they care that us, the
people who pay their wages, are getting our lives screwed up on an
increasingly regular basis?

If they really DO care about the public, the union workers should strike
like they do in Dublin. In Dublin, during industrial action, public
transport workers stop charging people fares. The company gets a financial
wake-up call, AND it's a gift to the very public they're supposedly trying
to serve.

Anyway, after all the stuff the RMT has been given, more threats of
industrial action aren't sitting too well. One gets the feeling they are
trying to get all they can, whether they deserve it or not. I'm sure that's
not the case, though.

sorry if this offends anyone, but I don't like walking to work.

d.