Old December 8th 04, 06:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Nick Cooper Nick Cooper is offline

Default "Commuter Strike"

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 00:15:59 +0000, Dave Arquati
wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4075559.stm

Basically, the pressure group "Commuter Voice" wants travellers to
boycott TfL public transport on 20 December. They want tube fares to be
fixed for three years, being pegged to inflation after that. They also
want the following, according to their website at www.busandtube.co.uk:

[snip]

My current opinion is that they are being completely ridiculous. They
want massively improved transport, but don't want to pay for it.

I almost expected to see "And free cakes for EVERYONE!" at the end of
it. It does seem that, in order go garner as much support as
possible, they've tried to think of at least one thing that will
appeal to everyone, even if the result is that a lot of their demands
are essentially contradictory, or at least incompatible.

To take one example:

- End to Zone one charging when just travelling through the zone.

I mean, why stop at just Zone 1?! What if someone wants to travel
from, say, Epping to West Ruislip - they're both in Zone 6, after all!
It ignores the fact that Zoning is in place for a reason, and that
Zone 1 carries a premium for a reason, as well.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk