Old December 8th 04, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default "Commuter Strike"

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 00:15:59 +0000, Dave Arquati wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4075559.stm

Basically, the pressure group "Commuter Voice" wants travellers to
boycott TfL public transport on 20 December. They want tube fares to be
fixed for three years, being pegged to inflation after that. They also
want the following, according to their website at www.busandtube.co.uk:

[snip list of demands]

My current opinion is that they are being completely ridiculous.

I would agree with that sentiment.

They
want massively improved transport, but don't want to pay for it. Of
particular interest, they want to scrap the congestion charge, but want
a huge improvement in bus services; they also want people to overcrowd
Tube services in Zone 1, but not to pay for using the most
intensively-used sections of the network.

Well yes but since when did most transport pressure groups have the
slightest idea how transport is run, funded or how much it costs?

Ever so slightly off topic but I once attended a liaison meeting between
our local London Cycling Campaign group and my local council. I could
have sworn I had been transported to the planet Zonk as the demands
being made by the cycle campaigners might as well have originated on
another planet for all the realism they possessed. This campaign smacks
of the same thinking (or lack thereof).
--
Paul C