Old August 6th 03, 08:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mike Hughes Mike Hughes is offline

Default Grid lock M3 J1 - why?

In article , Steve
writes
The strange phenomena of grid lock at junction 1 of the M3 has happened
again tonight.

It happens very rarely, but in the past 2 years since I've been using it,
it's happened 6 or 7 times, yet I can't work out why? One time I didn't move
for about 20 minutes!

If it's just too many vehicles surely the traffic lights should be phased to
stop them getting on to the roundabout.

The main problem I think is ignorant drivers coming on to the roundabout and
blocking people trying to get off at the next exit (eg. M3 exit and A308 to
Staines).

Any thoughts?

Steve.

Try the following site
http://vwisb7.vkw.tu-dresden.de/~tre.../simFrame.html
This gives a simulation of what happens to traffic by a relatively
simple incident.

It's amazing the results it can have and how it affects traffic which
was running smoothly. The overall number of vehicles passing is
significantly reduced for quite some time after the incident has been
removed.

It really opened my eyes about what happens to traffic.

Mike

--
Mike Hughes, a Brighton *licensed* taxi driver.
At home in Tarring, Worthing, West Sussex, England

Need a taxi from Brighton Worthing Gatwick or Heathrow - please visit this
site*
www.gatwick-taxi.com