Old December 10th 04, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Victoria Line on Friday

On 10 Dec 2004 02:33:43 -0800, wrote:

The Victoria Line was out of action from Seven Sisters to Victoria due
to engineering work at Highbury this morning. Now unless trains could
get from Northumberland Park to the southern section why wasn't the
reversals at Warren St and Kings Cross used.

Can you tell me how much of a service could be run with possibly 4
trains (not sure what stables remotely and where on the Vic) between
Brixton and say Warren St or Kings Cross?

It would be demonstrably unsafe to allow passengers to flood onto
Victoria Line platforms at places like Green Park or Euston with a 10 or
15 minute headway service operating. It gets very busy with a 1-2 min
headway.

You might not like that answer and I would agree that the Vic Line being
closed as it was is unacceptable but it would be folly to try to operate
a service that was not capable of being safely operated.

Is this the new improved underground that we were promised (and paying
through the nose for)

No it is not new or improved when a major disruption like this happens.
However money clearly is being spent on the Victoria Line tracks as
there are stretches where new sleepers and track have been installed and
the rail grinder is currently operating to provide a smoother, quieter
ride. It's a long way from perfect but there are plenty of people
trying to make things better. You may well have a different view.
--
Paul C