Old December 12th 04, 08:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Victoria Line on Friday

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:55:14 +0000, Paul Weaver
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:53:52 +0000, Dave Newt wrote:

wrote:
I bet that there was a lot of them. More cost effective to bus the
dozen or passengers I would have thought.

You're joking, yeah? I take it you haven't been there on a weekday
morning. There are very often no seats by Blackhorse Road.

Most of those on the seats are going to Zone 1. If the service ends at
severn sisters, they'd have to change onto national rail.

Well I opted for a bus to Turnpike Lane and then the Tube. Strangely the
buses were not inundated as they usually are when there's a problem on
the Victoria Line so I assume that people did find the service between
Walthamstow and Seven Sisters some use.

IIRC, All stations North of Seven Sisters has national rail lines into
Liverpool street (and nowhere else), so theres no benefit. Perhaps going
to Tottenham Hale and changing to get to Stansted.

There are plenty of bus links from the stations on the north end of the
line as well as NR links. You would find that the Victoria Line would be
far busier on this section if the parallel bus services were reduced or
removed. There are very large numbers of people who travel between
Walthamstow and Seven Sisters and beyond by bus (123 or 230) or who
change to other buses heading north or south or west at Tottenham Hale
(41 and 192) or Seven Sisters (41 plus the obvious routes to Edmonton
and Enfield as well as into town).

Of course, the 50 or so an hour that use the Victoria Line between these
stations (and not furthur) could be sent by bus, but that would take
forever, and that's not why they buy season tickets.

It doesn't take forever by bus (loads of people opt to use the bus in
preference to the tube) and there are certainly more than 50 people per
hour using the tube just over this section.
--
Paul C