Old December 12th 04, 10:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Next Stop information

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:30:26 +0000, Bonzo wrote:

It seems universal in many parts of the European mainland, and it
doesn't require GPS. Just a feed from the ticket machine as the driver
changes the location/stage - although I agree that GPS is even better.

On older buses, it is almost universal on the European mainland for
the driver to announce stops over the PA. I think it's this culture
that differs which means it's taken so long to catch on.

This is a pity, as named stops and driver announcements (or better LED
displays) is probably the best thing a bus operator can do to make
their services friendly to non-locals, and it costs next to nothing if
you go for the simpler end of the technology.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain