Old December 13th 04, 11:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway
Neillw001 Neillw001 is offline

Default Trivia: Railway madness

Troy Steadman wrote:
"Peter Masson" wrote in message

Is that right? If so what did the Wimbledon to Ludgate Hill route

go
via?

This seems to have been promoted by a separate company, the

'Tooting, Merton
& Wimbledon', but sold out to the LSWR and LB&SCR jointly before

opening. It
originally had two routes between Wimbledon and Tooting, the

current one
used by Thameslink via Haydons Road, and one that took the Tramlink

route to
Merton Park then looped via Merton Abbey to Tooting. From Tooting

the route
to Ludgate Hill was the Thameslink route via Streatham, Tulse Hill,

Herne
Hill and Elephant & Castle to Ludgate Hill.

Very interesting Peter, I have often looked at that Merton Abbey

section
past the old Triang factory or on old maps and wondered what its

purpose
was, now I know.

Immediately to the north of the current line from New Malden to

Raynes
Park is a "ghost" line, bridged and laid out as if for rails and now
connecting IMMSMC the former Water Works at Berrylands to London. Do

you
know anything about that one?

Is the piece of land that starts immediately after New Malden station
and ends just after the bridge that carries the A3 over the line? I've
often wondered about that. There are some concrete blocks on the spare
land to the side of the tracks that I've always taken to be WW2
anti-tank blocks, though I'm sure blowing the bridge would have been
much more effective in the event of an invasion.

Neill