Old December 15th 04, 04:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mrs Redboots Mrs Redboots is offline

Default London's busiest level crossing?

Martin Underwood wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 15 Dec 2004:

Presumably road under railway.

More likely to build road-bridge over railway; it can happen - back in
the 1940s they had started to build a bridge over the then Southern
railway line at Goring-by-sea and then for some reason (war? Economy?
Planning consent) it was never finished. Traffic had to use the
level-crossing, as before. You could always see where it would have
been, as they had made a roundabout at its foot, leading nowhere! Then
quite suddenly, I suppose about 15-20 years ago now, they built the
bridge and the level-crossing, although still there, is only really used
by cars going to the station car-park from south of the line.

If the crossing is handling 60 tph, I wonder how many cars per hour it can
allow across the crossing - I'd have thought the barriers would be down
almost 100% of each hour.

The mind boggles!
--
"Mrs Redboots"