Old December 16th 04, 01:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
1577+2260 1577+2260 is offline

Default ?Desiro & ?Class 317 length

On 16 Dec 2004 05:30:41 -0800, wrote:

The trains that usually run that line are class 455's. They are
externally identical to the 317's except 317's are built for
outer-suburban use and have better interiors.

The new train you came across wasn't a desiro but a class 458

'juniper'
unit which believe it or not is already in it's last days of

operation.

Sorry, I'm no good at identifying these trains - I did a Google image
search and picked the ones that looked appropriate. It would be easier
if the darn things had an obvious reference like cars - Astra, Mondeo,
Megane etc written on the side or back.

They do - the number ;-)

Generally the *set* number (on the front, as opposed to the individual
car numbers on the side) starts with the class number, although on the
southern routes it's often only the last digit of the class. So 455s
tend to have set numbers 5xxx, although I believe at least one
company's refurbs are to be numbered the full 455xxx.

Big difference between a 455 and 317 is that 455s run on third rail
and 317s run on overhead power supply. So if there are no wires it's a
455!

Difference between a Juniper (class 458) and Desiro (class 444 or
450): Junipers have flat sloping fronts with retractable gangways - so
the centre of the front has no windows IIRC. Desiros look more curved
at the front, and have 'proper' gangways.

If the 'Junipers' were used occaisonally on the Waterloo to Reading
Service, with the Orange Dot Matric LED display showing destination on
the front of the train, then I'm not talking about those.

These days Junipers are very common on Waterloo-Reading - it's their
main route.