Old December 17th 04, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Christine Christine is offline

Default London's busiest level crossing?

Hi Guys,

My old stomping ground, London Bridge Signalling Area has a manned
level crossing at Charlton Lane near Charlton. This surely is the
busiest Crossing Keeper job. There are a total of 12 trains per hour
or more if the extra freight and loco movements are included, during
off peak weekdays and saturdays, this can increase to 24 during the
peak periods due to extra services and empty stock going to or coming
from Slade Green Depot and if memory serves me well it does exceed
this at one point in the morning peak, if all services run.

Christine

On 13 Dec 2004 14:13:54 -0800, wrote:

Because I'm that sort of person, this question has
been bugging me for a while.

Where is London's busiest level crossing in terms
of off-peak weekday trains per hour? Where ever
in London it is, is it the busiest level crossing in
the UK? In Europe? Anywhere?

By level crossing, I mean where a railway line
crosses a public road on the level -- depots, tracks
between fields, pedestrian crossings and such
don't count.
Your suggestions greatly appreciated,

Matt Ashby
www.mattashby.com