Old December 17th 04, 05:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Nick Leverton Nick Leverton is offline

Default London's closest pair of level crossings?

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:53:42 on Fri,
17 Dec 2004, John Rowland
remarked:
It was originally proposed that the tramline would be inside the barriers.
This was scrapped because of the high frequency of the trams.

There's about one every 8 minutes - hardly "high" frequency. But as I
said, there are no barriers at any of the other hundred or so places
that the tram intersects a road, so why would this one be special?

I understood the concern was that cars might queue across the tramline
when the heavy rail barriers came down. This is a very busy crossing for
road traffic. I didn't read why this one ended up with barriers only for
heavy rail, yet the less busy one at Carey Road has the tramline inside
the barriers. The latter crossing is of course two single tracks where
David Lane is two double tracks. I could well believe it was just the
ease of conversion, keeping the barriers in the same place as when the
Robin Hood line occuppied the whole trackbed.

Nick
--
http://www.leverton.org/ ... So express yourself