Old December 17th 04, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default London's closest pair of level crossings?

"Nick Leverton" wrote in message
In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:53:42 on Fri,
17 Dec 2004, John Rowland
remarked:
It was originally proposed that the tramline
would be inside the barriers. This was scrapped
because of the high frequency of the trams.

There's about one every 8 minutes - hardly "high"
frequency. But as I said, there are no barriers at
any of the other hundred or so places that the tram
intersects a road, so why would this one be special?

I understood the concern was that cars might queue
across the tramline when the heavy rail barriers came down.
This is a very busy crossing for road traffic. I didn't read why
this one ended up with barriers only for heavy rail, yet the less
busy one at Carey Road has the tramline inside the barriers.
The latter crossing is of course two single tracks where
David Lane is two double tracks. I could well believe it was
just the ease of conversion, keeping the barriers in the same
place as when the Robin Hood line occuppied the whole trackbed.

That may be an issue, but AFAIK the main issue was that there is a tram
junction between the two crossings, and one of the crossings has
significantly more trams than the other. At the crossing with fewer trams,
the tramlines are inside the barriers, whereas at the crossing with more
trams the tram tracks were required to be outside the barriers, pothrerwise
the barriers would be closed for too much of the time.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped