Old December 18th 04, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

In article , ] (Steve
Fitzgerald) wrote:

In message .com,
Boltar writes

I've no idea how its actually done but couldn't they just be connected
with seperate cables (instead of via the coupler), which twist in the
middle so to match up with the other unit?

It's all done through the coupler face. There are no cables to be
connected/disconnected on this stock. A series of contacts are covered
up and as the trains come together this magically opens. The air is
connected in a similar fashion. It would require the whole coupling to
be redesigned (which would no doubt require a revised safety case),
tested, fitted and then training given to all involved. I can't see it
being worth it for a 20 month closure.

I agree. I'm more surprised they weren't modified to removed handedness or
replaced at refurb, though. There are plenty of unhanded couplers on the
Underground after all.

--
Colin Rosenstiel