Old December 18th 04, 02:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Brimstone Brimstone is offline

Default Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article , ]
(Steve Fitzgerald) wrote:

In message .com,
Boltar writes

I've no idea how its actually done but couldn't they just be
connected with seperate cables (instead of via the coupler), which
twist in the middle so to match up with the other unit?

It's all done through the coupler face. There are no cables to be
connected/disconnected on this stock. A series of contacts are
covered up and as the trains come together this magically opens.
The air is connected in a similar fashion. It would require the
whole coupling to be redesigned (which would no doubt require a
revised safety case), tested, fitted and then training given to all
involved. I can't see it being worth it for a 20 month closure.

I agree. I'm more surprised they weren't modified to removed
handedness or replaced at refurb, though. There are plenty of
unhanded couplers on the Underground after all.

I suspect it's to do with the number of wires that need to pass across the
coupler from one unit to the other. AIUI the contact faces need to be of a
certain size to be effective which means there may not physically be enough
space on the coupler to duplicate every contact.