Old December 18th 04, 04:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Peter Masson Peter Masson is offline

Default Trains carried on ships

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message

There was indeed - the "Golden Arrow" ran from London to Paris
overnight, via Dunkerque. Only first-class passengers (I think I am
right in saying) remained on the trains; the others had to get off.
This was the "Night Ferry" service beloved of generations of students,
and used by many of my contemporaries as a cheap way of travelling
between the two capitals. But the train service was considered the last
word in luxury when it was inaugurated.

The 'Golden Arrow' was a day service, usually via Dover-Calais. The train
did not go across. In its later years, the Golden Arrow was First Class
Pullman plus second class ordinary coaches.

The 'Night Ferry' (Dover-Dunkerque) used blue 'Wagons-Lits' - quite an
unusual sight for commuters waiting at Orpington or Bromley South. The
wagons-lits were indeed first class only, although there were both single
berth and twin berth compartments.

Peter