Old December 18th 04, 06:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mait001 Mait001 is offline

Default Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

It is also the complete lack of foresight and advance preparation when building
the original line, and then the T4 line that irks me.

Let me give you an example. In the late 1960s/early 1970s, my father was a
civil engineer working for the London Borough of Hounslow. He was responsible
for rebuilding Stanwell Road, a road connecting the Great South West Road to
the cargo area of Heathrow Airport. At the time, there were vague rumblings
about building a rail link to Heathrow from Victoria. In the end, it was
abandoned because it would have cut through Buckingham Palace Garden.

With that possibility in mind, however, he ensured that there were culverts,
diverted drainage etc., and indeed an opening beneath Stanwell Road (that is
there, unused, to this day) so that this could have been used by the railway
line if ever it was built. That would have ensured virtually no disruption to
Stanwell Road had that line been built.

That is called foresight and forward planning that is so patently missing now.

Marc.