Old December 18th 04, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Brimstone Brimstone is offline

Default Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

Mait001 wrote:
It is also the complete lack of foresight and advance preparation
when building the original line, and then the T4 line that irks me.

Let me give you an example. In the late 1960s/early 1970s, my father
was a civil engineer working for the London Borough of Hounslow. He
was responsible for rebuilding Stanwell Road, a road connecting the
Great South West Road to the cargo area of Heathrow Airport. At the
time, there were vague rumblings about building a rail link to
Heathrow from Victoria. In the end, it was abandoned because it would
have cut through Buckingham Palace Garden.

With that possibility in mind, however, he ensured that there were
culverts, diverted drainage etc., and indeed an opening beneath
Stanwell Road (that is there, unused, to this day) so that this could
have been used by the railway line if ever it was built. That would
have ensured virtually no disruption to Stanwell Road had that line
been built.

That is called foresight and forward planning that is so patently
missing now.

Whilst I don't disagree with you basic premise, it has to be said that the
site for T5 has been moved IIRC.