Old December 18th 04, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

John Rowland wrote:
"Mait001" wrote in message

That is called foresight and forward planning that is so patently missing

now.

I don't agree. Many modern schemes have passive provision, or more, for
other schemes. In fact, the existing Heathrow Express has a junction which
was built for the T5 branch, although this will not be used.... and the
Piccadilly T4 loop has a straight bit beneath where T5 was planned, although
this will also now not be used.

And away from Heathrow, the Jubilee line has provision for an eastwards
branch to Thamesmead at North Greenwich; the DLR has provision for
future stations at Connaught Bridge, Thames Wharf (on the new LCY
branch) and also I believe even in the tunnel to Bank for an underground
station to replace Tower Gateway, which was originally going to be
closed in favour of Bank, but DLR decided operationally that it was too
useful to close. Plus the CTRL works incorporate provision for
Thameslink 2000 by building a new link from St Pancras to the GN lines
out of King's Cross.

So I agree with John; planners still take into account future
possibilities, but whether those possibilities change or not is a
different issue. No-one can predict the future!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7