Old December 19th 04, 12:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mrs Redboots Mrs Redboots is offline

Default Trains carried on ships

Peter Masson wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 18 Dec 2004:

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message

The hoi polloi had to change trains, and got very little sleep - but
most students thought it worth it!

To Paris the Newhaven - Dieppe route was cheaper, and probably more
uncomfortable.

It was certainly vile - I used to use it as Newhaven is nearer where my
parents live. Remember the "Valençay", the "Villandry" and the
"Senlac", which were the ferries that plied the route in the 1970s. I
don't know whether it was cheaper - most of my friends did the "Night
Ferry" thing if they were going to London. Most of the time, because I
was working and could afford to pay slightly more, I flew with the
"Silver Arrow" service from Le Touquet - one got a train from Paris to
Le Touquet, and then a plane to Gatwick, from where I could easily catch
a direct train down to the south coast. Once in a blue moon I'd fly
direct from - well, it must have been Orly in those days, or even Le
Bourget, since Charles-de-Gaulle only opened my last year in Paris (I
did fly from there once, just so I could say I had!).
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/