Old December 19th 04, 12:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default Trains

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:51:56 +0000, Joe
wrote:

The refurbed SWT 455s are 2+2 with more standing space, the Southern
ones are still 3+2. The problem with 3+2 is that the middle seat only
provides theoretical extra seating capacity. Unless one happens to be
on a train full of children or under-fed midgets the middle seat is
all but unusable. Many people would rather have decent standing room
than cramped standing space and a view of half a seat just visible
between the two seated passengers!

I have heard a lot of people saying this, but in my Experience of
Silverlink (County), Chiltern Railways & c2c, I have never seen people
standing when there is a middle seat avaliable.

OTOH, it is common on the Southern (and sometimes SWT) trains I use.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK