Old December 19th 04, 05:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default Trains carried on ships

In message , Terry Harper
writes

As Newhaven is only 25-30 minutes by car from us, the Senlac was a pleasant
way to start a continental trip. Lunch on board, with traditional service,
allowed one to spend the four hours in reasonable comfort. The SNCF ships,
on the other hand, were a waste of time, with very poor food and indifferent
service. Not at all what one might have expected. I've been once by Jetfoil,
with Macdonalds the summit of culinary offerings. Returning to one's seat
with a tray full of food on a rough day is not recommended.

I've found it as quick to drive to Dover, take P&O and have breakfast or
lunch in Langan's Brasserie, and drive down the Autoroute towards Rouen in
recent years, when visiting glass works in the valley of the Bresle.

I can strongly recommend Sea France on the current Dover-Calais route
(especially if you get their new, fast Rodin) - superb lunches with the
freshest salad I've ever had, and excellent cuisine if you care to
splash out for dinner. They also do extremely good day-return deals for
booze-cruisers (20 to 26 quid for car + up to 9 passengers is the best
I've seen).

(Annabel's reminiscence of the Gatwick - Le Touquet hedgehopper rang a
bell here - it was a good way to get to Paris in the '70s).

--
Paul Terry