Old December 20th 04, 09:23 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mrs Redboots Mrs Redboots is offline

Default Trains carried on ships

Terry Harper wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 19 Dec 2004:

As Newhaven is only 25-30 minutes by car from us, the Senlac was a pleasant
way to start a continental trip. Lunch on board, with traditional service,
allowed one to spend the four hours in reasonable comfort. The SNCF ships,
on the other hand, were a waste of time, with very poor food and indifferent
service.

I used to work for a man who was great friends with some of the staff on
the French ships, so I always got great service on them! It took him
some time to make friends with the people on the "Senlac", and I'd long
since left to live in Paris by the time he did!

Not at all what one might have expected. I've been once by Jetfoil,
with Macdonalds the summit of culinary offerings. Returning to one's seat
with a tray full of food on a rough day is not recommended.

No way......

I've found it as quick to drive to Dover, take P&O and have breakfast or
lunch in Langan's Brasserie, and drive down the Autoroute towards Rouen in
recent years, when visiting glass works in the valley of the Bresle.

The autoroute to Rouen is lovely, especially the "Aire de la Baie de
Somme", where we always stop, whether we need to or not! Imagine people
going to a service area in the UK if they didn't have to.....

But these days we always take the tunnel. Quite honestly, early
experiences on the Newhaven-Dieppe run have put me off ferries for life!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/