Old December 20th 04, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mait001 Mait001 is offline

Default Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

My law Degree is almost 20 years old now! I got it at a time when jury
trial
was sacrosanct, innocence till found guilty, no dentention without trial,
Cabinet government, no restrospective legislation .... How old-fashioned

all
of this now seems!

What retrospective legislation has been passed?

Who is not innocent till found guilty?

Your first question: all legislation that criminalises conduct which, at the
time it was performed, was not a criminal act; e.g. Sexual Offences Act 2003,
which criminalises certain conduct restrospectively.

Your second question: the same Act is an example: people (usually men) can now
be subjected to a Sexual Offences Prevention Order even if acquitted of the
offence with which they have been charged. The Order can prohibit anything from
travelling on public transport to owning or using a telephone, camera,
computer, television: there is no exhaustive list so the Court an literally
order anything at all.

Another example is the various money laundering and proceeds of crime
legislation that requires someone to prove that money or property they have in
their possession is not the proceeds of crime: unless it is so proved it is
confiscated by the State.

And, under the new proposals, we will all be deemed "non persons" until we can
prove, by production of an identity card, who we are.

Marc.