Old December 20th 04, 02:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive Coleman Clive Coleman is offline

Default The London commuter market - BR's last safe haven?

In message , Brimstone
writes
Were the 'Metropolitan' and 'Southern' private-sector companies? If so,
that's absolutely disgraceful, investing money in the hope of making a
profit at the expense of hard-working families. Investment in such things
should always be left in the hands of HM (that is, The People's) Treasury,
who make a much better fist of it. Look at the generous way they paid
for -sorry, funded - BR's plans in the post-war era.

Assuming you not attempting to be humorous, (but that you really do
have a pitiful lack of knowledge of British railway history) British
Railways came into existence on the 1st January 1948. Prior to that all
railways had been privately established and owned, although with
significant government interference.

I'm not entering into this debate, but I find it interesting, you recall
that when I started work on the railways in 63 a lot of the drivers were
employed by the private companies before becoming B.R. and all agreed
that the change was from chasing profit to chasing safety.
--
Clive.