Old December 19th 04, 08:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Alan Osborn Alan Osborn is offline

Default Trains carried on ships

In article , Troy
Steadman writes
Didn't there used to be trains that instead of disgorging their
passengers at the docks actually drove (drove?) steamed on to sidings
on the decks of ships then steamed off Stena-like to continue their
journey across Europe?

There are still although not in the UK since the demise of the Night
Ferry in c. 1970's -
I can still recall seeing the Wagon Lits SNCF train at London Victoria

It was withdrawn due to problems with the French stock unique as being
French but built to UK loading gauge.
The ferry I understood last much longer for freight wagons.

In Europe they still exist in 2002 I used the Puttgarden (Germany to
Rodby (Denmark) ferry a through Danish DMU service from Hamburg to
Copenhagen.
A 2nd Germany / Denmark ferry left the Danish port of Gedser also
existed which ran to the Former East Germany, which was declared surplus
following reunification
Puttgarden to Rodby ferry is now less important following the Danish
completion of the Storebelt Bridge/Tunnel between Korsor and Nyborg
which linked the island of Zealand which hosts the Danish capital
Copenhagen with rest of Denmark. This was completed c. late 1990's
reducing Danish Inter-City Train journeys by about 1 hour.
The night train and maybe some other trains from Germany to Copenhagen
now takes this route AFAIK, before trains were conveyed by ferry (Trains
and Passengers only no cars which had a separate ferry.

IN 2000 another Bridge/Tunnel was constructed linking Denmark with
Sweden (Malmo) which no doubts means the existing ferry between
Helsingor (Denmark) and Helsingborg (Sweden) might soon be history

I think there may be still a few elsewhere in the world, but I have
personally only used the above.

In the case of the Puttgarden - Rodby ferry the Danish DMU is driven
onto the ferry, (tracks on car deck) it is then shut down, although you
could stay on the train if you wished, or alight and go up on deck, the
train seemed to be treated like just another 'road' vehicle.

I saw a train from Sweden unloading at Helsingor, and immediately behind
the last carriage road vehicles started disembarking likewise.

--
Alan Osborn