Old December 21st 04, 08:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MartinM MartinM is offline

Default Trains carried on ships

"Alan Osborn" wrote in message

There are still although not in the UK since the demise of the Night
Ferry in c. 1970's -
I can still recall seeing the Wagon Lits SNCF train at London Victoria

It was withdrawn due to problems with the French stock unique as being
French but built to UK loading gauge.
The ferry I understood last much longer for freight wagons.

The Night Ferry was carried on the St Germain which was also used as a car
ferry (I used it in 1965). I also travelled on it with the Night Ferry in
1980 (having used the connecting boat train). It was replaced in c 1988 by
the Nord Pas de Calais, a purpose built trainferry which required two
dedicated 33/2s to shunt so the boat stayed upright in the trainferry dock.
It was proposed that prohibited tunnel freight would use it after the
opening of the same but it now carries lorries only, saw it last month.