Old December 21st 04, 08:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael Bell Michael Bell is offline

Default Lowering tube floors to allow wheelchair access?

There is (or maybe was) a project to lower the floors of new tube
stock and/or maybe only the trailers of existing stock by redesign and
fitting smaller wheels - only fitting smaller wheels in the case of existing
stock - to allow wheelchair access, and much more commerically important,
though with no legal need, to make it easier to use children's pushchairs and
shopping trolleys.

There has been silence on this lately. What has happened?

In new stock it would also allow the ceiling to be raised, which
would be a good idea for tall men. I am 6ft and the coaches are tight for
me, and there are many much taller than me, and we must expect the number
to grow.

It is also going to be hard work to raise platforms, there is the
building work itself, and to keep slopes from getting too steep, it may be
necessary to raise passageway roofs - very messy, expensive and disruptive.

All in all, lowering the floors of the coaches looks an attractive
option.

If I may get off the heavy stuff for a while:

Whem my little ones were 3 & 7 I took them to London, and we went
about on the tube. When we got back I overheard them talking about "the pipe
trains".

It shows the other meanings of words that we adults don't see.

Michael Bell