Old December 21st 04, 10:58 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
K K is offline

Default ?Desiro & ?Class 317 length

On 15 Dec 2004 16:39:14 -0800, (S. Endon-Lee) wrote:

1) How come it wasn't possible to lock out only the rearmost car's
doors? This would be more useful.

2) Surely the platform lengths were known - so why build trains that
are too long, and don't easily accommodate themselves to short
platforms by locking out the minimum number of doors necessary?

3) How long are these trains compared to the older (?317) stock (or
even the slam door stock)?

4) I noticed that the resignalling work a few years ago seemed to move
the stop point (the 8 car/4 car black signs with white 4 or 8 numeral)
on several platforms, wasting some of the platform length - why was
this? Surely it makes sense to use all the platform available?

5) What will the long term solution be? I'm not at all sure the
Isleworth platform can be extended easily or cheaply, as the station
fills the space between two bridges - it looks like major bridge
rebuilding/widening would be needed. Barnes has only recently been
resignalled and had platform work so I'm surprised it's too short.

Does anyone have the answers to these questions as the thread went a
bit adrift :-)