Old December 21st 04, 12:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Greg Hennessy Greg Hennessy is offline

Default Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 02:52:29 +0000, David Boothroyd
wrote:

no-jury Diplock Courts from 1972 (and the Special Court in Dublin),

Never mind that, what about the introduction of criminal offences
which were summarily triable only? That was some time in the 1980s;
before then, a defendant could insist on a jury trial for literally
anything.

You got a problem with that ?

A good example of a really appalling piece of clearly retrospective
legislation is the Commonwealth Immigrants Act 1968. Thousands of
people retrospectively stripped of UK citizenship and absolutely the
worst thing ever done by a Labour government.

Agreed. A despicable disgraceful act of cowardice.

Made it more than plain that we are all subjects at the mercy of political
whim and not citizens with fundamental immutable rights.

greg

--
Yeah - straight from the top of my dome
As I rock, rock, rock, rock, rock the microphone