Old December 21st 04, 01:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MartinM MartinM is offline

Default Trains carried on ships

"Jonathan Stott" wrote in message

I used the Helsingør-Helsingborg ferry in the days before the bridge
at Malmo with journeys starting in Sweden. The return journeys were a
nightmare as the ferries were packed with drunk Swedes who were taking
advantage of the cheaper alcohol prices in Denmark. I don't know if
it's still as bad but I recommend welly boots if you take the trip!

I have been across the bridge three times - twice on trains and once on
a coach. Also been across the ferry once too, but didn't see many
drunken Swedes - perhaps the unearthly hour of the crossings (5am-ish)
might be to blame!

Also been across the Putgarden-Roedby ferry a few times and although I
didn't see any trains on the ferry (again, unearthly hours!) I was
surprised to see the tracks leading up and on to the ferry. I wonder how
they manage the marry the tracks on the ferry to the tracks on the land?

I believe via a ramp, the Ladybird book said that the low tidal variation
made this possible on the Continent but not the UK (although Harwich was a
ramp IIRC)
I used the through train on this route in 1983 on an Inter-Rail, if you
stayed on board there was no need to buy a ferry ticket; you could of course
alight on board.