Old December 22nd 04, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mrs Redboots Mrs Redboots is offline

Default Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

Tom Anderson wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 21 Dec 2004:

(Re Fenchurch Street & Tower Gateway DLR stations):

Still, all things being equal (which they aren't) it would be preferable
to have better interchange, surely?

The DLR station at Limehouse is actually designed for interchange with
C2C, and is announced as such.

In any case, DLR are unlikely to close Tower Gateway station at its
current location; it's extremely useful.

Why?

I found it useful when I was commuting to Docklands on the days I went
from Streatham, as I could get a direct train into Blackfriars, then a
short ride on the District Line, and then a direct train towards East
India or Canning Town. I didn't have to faff about changing trains at
Westferry, or walking for miles around the Monument/Bank complex.

However, it is due to be reduced to a single but lengthened platform as
part of the capacity improvement project, as the island platform would
become dangerously overcrowded.

When you say 'single', do you mean it will still be an island, or will it
become a single-face platform? I can't see the latter being great for
capacity, but if reverses aren't a limiting factor, i suppose it would
work.

The trains reverse now - they come into the platform (normally platform
2), and head out the way they came. The only problem I could see is if
a train were to break down, they would have no spare track to use.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/