Old December 23rd 04, 01:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Dave Arquati wrote:

(snip)
I mean a single-faced platform (sorry, I didn't make that clear). This
is only really a capacity reduction of 25%, as 2 two-car platforms will
become one three-car platform. The problem is that the island platform
cannot be lengthened to accommodate additional passengers without being
widened - and there is no room to widen the viaduct. Reversals aren't a
huge issue on the DLR thanks to the computer control; the limiting
factor is how quickly you can disembark a trainload and embark the next
trainload, and that is partly limited by platform space.

Two faces still gives you more capacity, since you can be handling two
trains at once (sort of - trains can interfere with each other through the
crossover, which makes things slightly complicated).

I forgot to reply to this. Two faces theoretically give you more *train*
capacity, but not necessarily more *passenger* capacity. If you can have
two trains in the station but passengers have difficulty actually
getting on and off trains because the platform is so crowded, then you
have a reduced passenger capacity; this in turn will lead to a reduced
train capacity because the dwell time will be very high.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7